Recent market research has revealed a globally growing interest on documentaries both from the demand and supply side.
Documentary genre has now become the 2nd most populated content-wise genre in the movie titles catalog, surpassing traditionally popular genres such as comedy or adventure films. At the same time modern audiences appear willing to immerse into more interactive and personalised viewing experiences, through second-screen content and advanced video formats such as 360° video.
Documentaries, even in their linear version, involve high costs in all phases (pre-production, production, post-production) due to certain inefficiencies partly attributed to the lack of scientifically-proven cost-effective ICT tools. PRODUCER aims at filling this gap, by delivering a set of innovative ICT tools that focus on supporting various stages of the documentary creation phases, ranging from the user engagement and audience building, to the final documentary delivery.
Apart from the key objective of reducing the overall production cost and time, enabling small documentary production houses (SMEs) to increase their market share and competitiveness, our project would result in: a) providing greater creativity and productivity to documentary creation professionals, stimulated by new production sophisticated tools that enable searching, annotating, editing, personalizing professional and user generated content, b) enhancing viewers’ experience and satisfaction by generating multi-layered documentaries, and delivering to the viewer personalized services, and c) facilitating the promotion of the documentaries to investors.
The consortium is composed of three SME partners, one broadcaster, one large ICT industry, and two research institutions, all of them actively involved in the creative sector, covering all the key actors in the documentary production, and offering adequate competence to form the critical mass required to drive the accomplishment of the project objectives.
The PRODUCER platform, as depicted in the following figure, consists of a back-end system and a front-end system.
Each tool proposed within PRODUCER overall architecture consists of a back-end engine, being responsible for its main functionalities and services and a user-friendly interface in the front-end system. The user-friendly interface can be easily designed and implemented with different variations based on the final integration decision policy for the overall PRODUCER platform. In the following the main functionalities of tools and engines constituting PRODUCER platform, are presented, towards facilitating the documentary creation process.
The novel PRODUCER tools are organized in three main categories, based on the phase of the documentary creation process that they mainly support, i.e. pre-production, production and post-production.
- Open Content Discovery tool to reduce time and cost of research about the topic of the documentary. The Open Content Discovery tool will collect data across open repositories and will achieve to discover information related to the documentary topic.
- Audience Building & Integrated Trends Discovery to identify topics that are most likely to engage the audience, via adopting enhanced trends analytics techniques. This includes linkage to social networks, enabling the documentary producer to keep the finger on the pulse of the audience.
- Automatic Annotation tool to provide annotations paired and time aligned with the multimedia content, based on multimedia content analysis. The provided annotations will make the multimedia content easily searchable. Existing available multimedia content can be easily retrieved by the producers and re-used in the production process.
- Multimedia Content Storage, Search & Retrieval tool to enable the storage of the professional and user generated content in a structured repository, grouped by thematic units. Based on the documentary content appropriate hashtags and indices will be offered, simplifying the publicising to a wide audience on social networks.
- Interactive-Enriched Video Creation tool, which will facilitate the easy introduction of interactivity layers over the produced documentary
- 360° Video Playout tool, enabling 360° video playout on HbbTV devices.
- Second Screen Interaction tool, enabling multi-device interaction in conjunction with HbbTV devices, with a special focus on interactive advertising.
- Social Recommendation & Personalization tool to filter targeted multimedia based on the audience, in order to make it even more appealing to a larger audience.
- PRODUCER provides a dedicated Personalized Interactive Documentary development and distribution platform to facilitate the cost-effective and time-efficient creation as well as the distribution for multi-screen environments from SME production houses
- It serves as the unique point of engagement and collaboration of all ecosystem players of the Personalized Interactive Documentary creation and distribution process.